Limited Presentation of 5,500
- The first time Stephen Hawking has been celebrated on a UK coin
- The first coin in an exciting new series celebrating innovators in science
- Features a design approved by the Hawking estate
- Celebrate the life and legacy of one of the world’s most brilliant scientists
- Presented in a sleek black box complete with a fascinating booklet that brings the science of black holes to life
- Only 5,500 coins are available in this Limited Edition Presentation
Celebrate the genius of Stephen Hawking in fine silver
Stephen Hawking’s academic work scaled new heights and resulted in astounding discoveries. After being diagnosed with a rare form of Motor Neurone disease and given just a few years to live, Hawking battled the odds and pushed on with his studies. His theories on the Big Bang, black holes and the history of the universe stand as huge contributions to the whole of humanity.
As we remember this remarkable man on the first anniversary of his passing, The Royal Mint is delighted to present the first coin in our new series celebrating innovators in science. Struck in fine silver and finished to Proof standard, this coin features an original design by printmaker Edwina Ellis daring you to peer into a black hole and contemplate what lies beyond.